Here at KH Group, we are all about creating more time for the busy professional who lacks too much of it. Time is as valuable as money, and there are various ways you can ensure you get enough of it. One of those things is efficiency. Being efficient means you’re able to spend time on the more important things, because all the little things, or the things that aren’t much fun, have already been done. Sounds great, right?
But efficiency doesn’t come naturally to some. So, for those people there’s one simple rule they should introduce into their lives that will change them for the better. This is called the one touch rule.
The one touch rule is simple. When you begin a task, complete it. So, for example, when you open an email, read it, reply to it, and act on it straight away instead of saying, ‘I’ll deal with that later.’ By getting it out of the way the first time you see it, you’ve essentially touched it once and no longer need to dwell on it. I don’t know about you, but I find that if I don’t reply to an email straight away, I continually forget to do so, no matter how many times a day I remember it. Dealing with things once and once only can help you focus, giving the task your full attention because you’re there in the moment. Then once it’s done, you don’t need to spare it another thought.
The one touch rule can apply to all aspects of your life. For example, in your household, when you get home and take your shoes off, place them where they belong instead of kicking them off near the door. This way, you don’t need to move them later. You’ve handled a task once, and don’t need to think about it again.
It’s true what they say: time is money, and the one touch rule is an effective way to make sure you’re spending your time wisely. The one touch rule can be started immediately, and will only become easier as time goes on. Even the busiest professional will benefit from introducing this simple, golden rule into their life.
- The one touch rule is a way of living that enables you to be more efficient and free up your time
- The one touch rule consists of giving your attention to a task the second you touch it, like replying to an email as soon as you open it, or putting your shoes away as soon as you take them off
- The one touch rule is all about being organised, and using your time wisely
- Efficiency is key to finding more time to spent on things you love, instead of menial tasks that could’ve already been done
- This rule is applicable to all areas of your life, from work to home